"Order placement failed: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable"

• P
    prasan 19 minutes ago

Hi,

Unable to place order through API, other APIs work. However able to place an order through web platform.

Client ID :P479104

Please advice.

"Order placement failed: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable"

Illustrative orderparams:
    orderparams = {
    "variety": "AMO",
    "tradingsymbol": "CRUDEOIL21NOV630000PE",
    "symboltoken": "233501",
    "transactiontype": "BUY",
    "exchange": "NFO",
    "ordertype": "MARKET",
    "producttype": "CARRYFORWARD",
    "duration": "IOC",
    "price": "0",
    "squareoff": "0",
    "stoploss": "0",
    "quantity": 50 #quantity #lot size CRUDE 100, NIFTY 50
    }

Tried with Normal, Day options as well, during the trading hours.

• @ksquare
    in your case, I believe it's due to incorrect quantity. Please try using quantity as 50 instead of 1.

• @admin @prasan , getting similar error while trying to place order for Option

orderparams = {
    "variety": "NORMAL",
    "tradingsymbol": "NIFTY03AUG2319800PE",
    "symboltoken": "82889",
    "transactiontype": "BUY",
    "ordertype": "MARKET",
    "duration": "DAY",
    "price": 0,
    "quantity": 1
    }

• @laxm
    did you got the solution ,please share code for websocketv2

• @admin

This is pending from several months, can you please reply? Many users facing the same issue.

• @neeluru
    is it working for options as well ? because i'm seeing this error only when i'm trying to place order for option {nifty, banknifty).

What i came to know that this is generating from the file smartConnect.py at line 290 which basically i don't understand. May be you can figure it out.
    Let me know !!

• Hello @admin
    so here is some more info which i get while placing the order.
    Basically this error is only coming while i'm trying to place order for options. For equity no error like this is coming.
    Also i m getting the following details while placing order which seems to be in your api code..

File "C:\Python311\Lib\site-packages\smartapi\smartConnect.py", line 290, in placeOrder
    orderResponse= self._postRequest("api.order.place", params)['data']['orderid']
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

So you may like to look at line no. 290 in your samrtConnect.py file for more info why this error is getting generated. Looking forward for your reply.
    Thanks

• Can someone respond to this query? I am stuck here and unable to proceed
    Thanks a lot
    Sandeep

• Hello @admin

Please reply

• Hello @admin

I'm receiving this error very frequently, sometimes it goes good. For example, yesterday it failed to place the order and today it was able to place the order successfully (no changes made).
    I'm following up on this error from many days through multiple threads. But I never got a solution. Can you please respond or make changes as to show the proper reason for the error.

Hope I'll get some resolution this time...Thanks in advance.

• HI @N210013

We have noticed that you are experiencing issues with our SDK due to poor error handling. The error message you are seeing, "TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable", is a result of the SDK not handling exceptions properly. This is causing the orderResponse variable to be None, which is leading to the error you are seeing.

The correct error message from the RestAPI is "TPIN is not validated" with error code "AB4013". This error is likely being caused because you are trying to sell delivery holding without TPIN authorization. To read more about the same, please read this post on forums. (https://smartapi.angelbroking.com/topic/2376/only-pre-authoirsed-delivery-sell-orders-will-be-executed-through-smartapi-for-non-poa-clients)

Please note that our SDKs are open source, so you are welcome to make contributions to improve the error handling and other aspects of the code. Additionally, if you encounter any errors in the future, you can make a call to the RestAPI directly to get the correct error message and information on how to resolve the issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your understanding.

• i am getting error while order placement. my order parameter is as follows:

{'variety': 'NORMAL', 'tradingsymbol': 'IDEA-EQ', 'symboltoken': '14366', 'transactiontype': 'SELL', 'exchange': 'NSE', 'ordertype': 'MARKET', 'producttype': 'DELIVERY', 'duration': 'DAY', 'price': 0.0, 'squareoff': 0.0, 'stoploss': 0.0, 'triggerprice': 0.0, 'trailingstoploss': 0.0, 'quantity': 1}

• @neeluru
    I tried the above piece of code and it works perfectly with a valid "orderId" but the challenge is on the Angle Broking UI under "Open Orders" this is not reflected.
    But if you get into "VIEW ORDER HISTORY" page it shows the following error:

Reason: 16408 : Trigger price entered has invalid characters

Below are the details and have attached the screenshotSTOPLOSS order error on AngelOne UI01012023.png

Details
    Order Placed on 05-Jan-2023 at 14:04:31

Product Type
    Carry Forward - STOPLOSS
    Action
    Sell
    Order Type
    Stop Loss Limit
    Validity
    Day
    Segment Type
    F&O
    Broker Order No.
    Reason: 16408 : Trigger price entered has invalid characters

• @neeluru change password to mpin

• 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

• @prasan
    change quantity ..

• @laxm

ROBO order is working fine for me.

try:
    orderparams = {
    "variety": "ROBO",
    "tradingsymbol": str(tradingsymbol),
    "symboltoken": str(symboltoken),
    "transactiontype": str(transactiontype),
    "exchange": str(symbolexchange),
    "ordertype": "LIMIT",
    "producttype": "BO",
    "price":float(pricelimit),
    #"triggerprice":100,
    "squareoff": 12,
    "stoploss": 12,
    "quantity": str(quantity)
    }
    orderId=client_smartApi.placeOrder(orderparams)
    return orderId
    except Exception as e:
    print("Order placement failed: {}".format(e.message))

• @laxm
    below is piece of code..

try:
        orderparams = {
            "variety": "STOPLOSS",
            "tradingsymbol": str(tradingsymbol),
            "symboltoken": str(symboltoken),
            "transactiontype":"BUY",
            "ordertype": "STOPLOSS_LIMIT",
            "price":pricelimit,
            "triggerprice":triggerprice,
            "quantity": "50"
            }
        orderId=obj.placeOrder(orderparams)
        return orderId
    except Exception as e:
        print(orderparams)   # it's helpful to understand which values you've passed..
        print("Order placement failed: {}".format(e.message))

• @admin said in "Order placement failed: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable":

error message from the RestAPI

Hi @admin
    if my understanding is correct you mean to say that this error "'NoneType' object is not subscriptable" is due to wrong "variety" parameter. Please correct if I misunderstood it.

I am also facing the same issue regularly. I had already raised this, please see https://smartapi.angelbroking.com/topic/3398/error-while-placing-orders

And I checked the "variety" in order parameters, it is "NORMAL" for regular orders and "ROBO" for Bracket orders.

• @neeluru

Hi, can you please share how it got resolved? I'm facing this issue from many days.